Friday, March 26, 2010

Inspired by the Hwarangs of Ancient Korea

Welcome to my humble abode. This is my very first blog, and I hope you'll excuse me for whatever errors I would make. Thanks to my friend, Mr. Bar Famero, who have indirectly convinced me this morning to try blogging, by showing off his blogspot, and I am impressed. Actually, I have grown tired of Facebook, which have already turned into a jam-packed social networking site. It is time to upgrade, and start sharing my thoughts about everyday life.

I am presently so engrossed with watching the GMA Korean TV Series,"Queen Seon Deok", even if it is slated at a very late time slot. I am very impressed with the story (by the way, this is a true story about the first Queen ruler of Silla), the script, the music, the scenes, the actors (Lee Yo Won is very beautiful)...everything's magnificent....How I wished we could have inspiring and educational TV series like these here in the Philippines.

For those Kapuso (GMA 7 Enthusiasts) who intensely watch this series, they would be very familiar with the word "Hwarang". According to wikipedia:
'The Hwarang were an elite group of male youth in Silla, an ancient Korean kingdom that lasted until the 10th century. There were educational institutions as well as social clubs where members gathered for all aspects of study, originally for arts and culture steeped in Buddhism and Taoism. These groups developed into a more military organization as the Silla court centralized political power and battled to unite the Three Kingdoms'... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hwarang

If Ancient England have their knights, and the Galactic Republic have their Jedis... Ancient Silla have their Hwarangs. Like the Jedis, Hwarangs may take on the dark side of the 'force', but they follow one certain code of discipline.

I am very inspired, maybe because I have a passion for movies of ancient civilizations, both true and fictional, in the likes of Braveheart, Troy, Lord of the Rings, etc....and of course, Jumong, when wars are won by strategy, innovative weapons and tactics. Today, wars are won by the number of nuclear warheads a nation keeps.

Or maybe, in my previous life, I was Hwarang Gimo who valliantly served and protected the Great Queen Seon Deok of Ancient Silla... or was it Lady Mishil (the Dark side)?

No comments:

Post a Comment